IMDEA Networks Institute is a networking research institute whose multinational team is engaged in cutting-edge fundamental science. As a growing, English-speaking institute located in Madrid, Spain, IMDEA Networks offers a unique opportunity for pioneering scientists to develop their ideas. IMDEA Networks is establishing itself internationally at the forefront in the “development of future network technologies and has already incorporated highly-reputed scientists (see our research team here). Our researchers share the potential to shape the future of networking science over the coming years.
Further information regarding our areas of research can be found here.
We bring together a large number of scientists performing research in fields very closely related to computer networks, to an extent that is unique in Europe. At the Institute, and teamed up with University Carlos III of Madrid (UC3M), researchers understand each other, are driven by common interests and are therefore able to collaborate in depth on leading-edge technical challenges.
Our PhD Student positions offer young, aspiring researchers a salaried position in our research team. Candidates offered a position as IMDEA Networks PhD Students will have been pre-vetted and conditionally accepted for a place on the Ph.D. program at UC3M or another top university in Madrid*.
* Please be aware that IMDEA Networks does not issue degrees and that, in most cases, as a UC3M PhD candidate you will be required to complete at least one year of masters courses, even if you already hold a masters degree. (Other universities may apply different criteria.)
Requirements, benefits and career development
- B.Sc., M.Sc. or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Telecommunications, Telematics or a related field (concluded by the time you join)*
- Excellent academic transcripts
- Clearly defined Statement of Purpose for Ph.D. research thesis
- Excellent level of spoken and written English (please note: Spanish is not required)
- Highly motivated
- Freedom to focus on your research work, with full administrative support. No teaching duties
- Collaboration with leading experts on international research projects
- Supervision throughout your Ph.D. by one of our world-renowned and award-winning researchers (see Research team).
- Use of state-of-the-art resources and facilities
- Collaborative, multi-cultural and English-speaking environment
- Participation at international conferences and project meetings
- Assistance with all aspects of immigration and relocation (including support with your VISA application)
- Support to take innovations to market
- Salaried position for up to 5 years *
- Access to comprehensive healthcare
- Total combined value of financial package of more than 150,000 Euros over five years
- More information about the University Carlos III of Madrid Ph.D program
* UC3M Admission levels
We finance PhD Student's Ph.D. studies for between 4 and 5 years:
- You will be funded for up to 4 years if you are admitted directly to the 1st year of the UC3M PhD Program
- up to 4 and a half years if you are also undertaking a full UC3M Masters Program,
- and you may be able to obtain an additional extension of up to 6 months.
After obtaining their Ph.D., our graduates are expected to find jobs in research organizations (including academia) and industry, for instance, amongst the members of our Former Team. We help our PhD Students in their search for employment after graduation.
We have PhD positions for specific topics or projects, as well as positions where the research topic is not pre-defined at the time of the call. If your background and interests match one or two of the positions below, please enter the name of the corresponding supervisor(s) as “Preferred Ph.D. supervisor” in the section “Research interests and statement of purpose” of the application form. If you do not have a preference as to the PhD topic, leave this field empty.
Find more information about these openings on the following links.
PhD Position in network measurements, online privacy, online tracking and applied security [Internet Analytics Group]
The student will develop new methods to analyze and improve the behavior, performance, use, and abuse of real-world networked systems and applications. The student should therefore be interested in network measurements and characterization, privacy, security, data transparency, and also in building and hacking with real systems.
For more details about the ongoing research efforts, visit Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez's research page, or the home pages of the institute's faculty.Requirements for this position
- Understanding of networking protocols and systems and eagerness to explore new networking technologies.
- Good analytical skills.
- Preferably, PhD candidates should have completed, or be close to completing, a Master degree in computer science or electrical engineering.
- Exceptional students close to completing their bachelor's degree will also be considered.
- Experience with large-scale data analysis, mobile systems, mobile platforms, mobile app development, web technologies strongly preferred. Candidates with interest in other related areas will also be considered.
- Ph.D. candidates with knowledge, proven experience, or published papers on the aforementioned research areas will be considered positively.
The selected student will be supervised by Dr. Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez.
This position is oriented to research on Internet Blockchain. The topic of the PhD thesis is the design, development and implementation of solutions for securing the interdomain routing of the Internet based on blockchains. The purpose is to leverage on blockchain technologies such as the ones used in Bitcoin and Ethereum to provide a secure ledger for IP address allocations and routing announcements in the Internet. Candidates with Networking and programming background are preferred.
This position is oriented to research on Software Defined Networking and Network Function Virtualization in the context of 5G Fog/MEC/Cloud integration. The Thesis topic would be on the integration of these environments on the same platform at user data plane and control plane. The research work will be done in collaboration with the research project 5G-CORAL.
This position is oriented to research on the design and implementation of novel algorithms for future 5G Networks including technologies such as Software Defined Radio, Multi-access Edge Computing and Network Function Virtualization. The activities will be performed in the context of ongoing 5GPPP projects such as 5G-Transformer and 5G-Coral, taking advantage of the 5G end-to-end platform available at the 5TONIC Laboratory.
The aim of this PhD position is to develop new frameworks to optimize data and control plane representations, virtualization of packet processing pipelines, study new abstractions for composition of heterogeneous control planes, simplification of network topologies by keeping predefined properties of an original network topology and representation of a network as a virtual switch, study new techniques for translation desired economic models to configuration of network elements.Requirements for this position
- Profound knowledge and programming experience of Linux Kernel networking stack
- Significant experience in development infrastructure and services at least for one of the following SDN controllers: OpenDayLight, RYU, FloodLight, BEACON, RUNOS
- Profound understanding and development experience with one of the following is a big plus: DPDK, embedded GPUs for packet processing, OpenVSwitch, FD.io VPP.
The selected student will be supervised by Dr. Kirill Kogan.
Dr. Vincenzo Mancuso (OppArch Lab) invites applications for a PhD Student position in the area of Internet of Things, which involves both modeling and experimental research.
The aim of this PhD position is to design, develop and optimize new cooperative schemes and services for networks of mobile devices, sensors and actuators in which network and computing infrastructures need to be controlled and configured dynamically, using, e.g., virtualization, resource slicing and software-defined networking concepts.Requirements for this position
The selected student will be supervised by Dr. Vincenzo Mancuso.
- High proficiency in programming (e.g., C/C++, Matlab, Mathematica, LabVIEW and scripting languages)
- Excellent background on wireless networking
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
The selected student will be supervised by Dr. Vincenzo Mancuso.
PhD Position in Distributed Spectrum Monitoring System to Localize Wireless Intruders [Pervasive Wireless Systems Group]
The Pervasive Wireless Systems Research Group led by Dr. Domenico Giustiniano invites applications for a PhD Student position in the area of Distributed Spectrum Monitoring System to Localize Wireless Intruders. Together with do-it-yourself (DIY) online instructions, Software Defined Radio-based transceivers can perform highly sophisticated and difficult to detect attacks. The goal of the project is to achieve an accurate and fast detection, classification and location of intruders in the spectrum in the time, frequency and space domains using a Distributed Spectrum Monitoring System.Requirements for this position
- We expect an excellent degree in electrical engineering, telecommunication engineering or equivalent disciplines
- Proficiency in English is mandatory
- Solid background in signal processing, wireless networks and embedded systems
- Hands-on experience with experimental work
The work will be conducted in a well-established research group at IMDEA that is leading the Electrosense project (https://www.electrosense.org).
The selected student will be supervised by Dr. Domenico Giustiniano.