IMDEA* Networks Institute is a research organization on computer and communication networks whose multinational team is engaged in cutting-edge fundamental science and technology. As a growing, English-speaking institute located in Madrid, Spain, IMDEA Networks offers a unique opportunity for pioneering scientists to develop their ideas. IMDEA Networks has established itself internationally at the forefront in the development of future network principles and technologies. Our team of highly-reputed researchers is designing and creating today the networks of tomorrow.
Read more on www.networks.imdea.org.
Some keywords that define us: 5G, Big Data, blockchains and distributed ledgers, cloud computing, content-delivery networks, data analytics, energy-efficient networks, fog and edge computing, indoor positioning, Internet of Things (IoT), machine learning, millimeter-wave communication, mobile computing, network economics, network measurements, network security, networked systems, network protocols and algorithms, network virtualization (software defined networks – SDN and network function virtualization – NFV), privacy, social networks, underwater networks, vehicular networks, wireless networks and more…
*English pronunciation: [ĩn̪.'δ̞e.a].
Further information regarding our areas of research can be found here.
Our Strategic Goals
The Institute's strategic goals are the following:
- Conduct first class research on an international level in the area of computer networking
- Transfer technology to the industrial sector, in order to improve its capacity for innovation and competitiveness
- Transfer technology to spin-off-companies in order to promote the release of new products and services to the global market
- Attract and retain human capital of excellence with the aim to internationalize research in the Madrid region
- Collaborate with Madrid's industrial sector, research centers and educational institutions
IMDEA Networks focuses on an area that has a profound impact on people’s lives. Over the last decades, the Internet, smartphones, Wi-Fi and social networks transformed society and the economy. Indeed, the widespread access to networks has dramatically changed the way manufacturers produce and supply their goods, how public administrations operate, how professionals work and in general how individuals and society are shaped. The Internet socio-economic phenomenon continues to transform our lives at an amazing pace, and will continue to do so in the future with the deployment of new communication technologies and paradigms.
Our mission is to create value by leading research in protocol, algorithm and systems developments that enable the Future Internet. We do this by conducting research and developing innovative and useful scientific and technical advances in the above areas, while actively promoting their successful transfer to market. The Institute strives to provide optimal working conditions and the most attractive and best-equipped environment in which researchers can focus on this process of innovation and scientific advance.
A culturally-diverse team, such as IMDEA Networks', needs goals, but it also has to share values that transcend our social, religious and other cultural differences. These values serve to unify us by defining how we conduct ourselves, both within the team and in our dealings with others. Our core values will remain constant and will be promoted actively within the Institute:
- To be open to the new
- To be constantly adapting to our changing environment
- To value diversity
- We seek out and cherish different perspectives and diversity. We understand the value of diversity
- To be positive
- We encourage positive critical thought with a view to addressing the issue of generating better solutions, not simply identifying problems
- To act with integrity
- We act with integrity and honesty, delivering on our commitments in all our interactions. The trust this engenders provides the foundations for productive partnerships
- To listen well and speak clearly
- We listen actively to other people and take responsibility for explaining ourselves as we wish to be understood
- To respect individual brilliance
- We respect, honor and reward exceptional individual contributions when they are in the service of shared goals
- To work collaboratively
- Our individual contributions are more fruitful when performed in a team environment. We work in a spirit of partnership in all our activities with others. We achieve this by identifying and pursuing shared objectives in an open and honest way
- To innovate always
- We always look at problems from different points of view. We aim to do breakthrough research, not incremental research
- To compete sportingly across the globe
- We compete fairly but intensely, according to the letter and spirit of accepted standards. Competition drives us to be the best and most successful in our field
- To enjoy our work
- We enjoy what we do and share our enjoyment with each other
- We believe in group discussion and in bright individual ideas
- We do not believe in voting and committees. We believe in running code and rough consensus. (David D. Clark)
- Demo or die (in addition to publish or perish)
- Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. (T.A. Edison)