The Research Engineering & Support unit at IMDEA Networks is dedicated to supporting the continued growth in our research capacity and maximizing the impact of our research output by providing specific technical and professional expertise and assistance to ongoing research endeavors in a variety of ways. Research Engineering & Support personnel work either at the level of the entire Institute, or closely with researchers and their groups. There are roles with an engineering background that take care of the design, installation and maintenance of the IT infrastructure. Other roles may, for instance, provide administrative or operational support to project or lab management.
Typical jobs include systems administration, research (software and/or hardware) engineering, project or research administrator and laboratory technician. These positions are similar to their industry equivalents. They enable our employees to work on cutting-edge research problems and technology in a stimulating and innovative environment.
Research Engineer / Software Developer
English and Spanish. All interviews will be held in English
Degree and/or Masters in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field
Minimum 3 years in a similar post
IMDEA Networks Institute is looking to hire a Research Support Engineer for the Engineering department. This position will report directly to the Engineering Manager. The Research Support Engineer will be responsible for the development and maintenance of key software created internally for research and information processing purposes.
The Engineering Department is responsible for providing world class equipment, infrastructure and services designed to attract top international researchers to the Institute and to facilitate and support their research tasks.
List of tasks and responsibilities
- Research, design, develop, modify, install, test and maintain web-based & desktop software systems to support the Institute’s research work
- Be capable of designing and establishing ad-hoc functional and system requirements based on specifications
- Guarantee the architectural integrity and the quality, scalability and adaptability of all software developments
- Customize, adapt and/or upgrade off-the-shelf, open source and in-house software applications
- Lead the testing process
- Analyze and resolve technical and application issues
- Develop user support materials: prepare and update reports, manuals and other documentation about the state, functionality and maintenance of the software
- Be able to manage projects under the supervision of a manager; act as technical leader and serve as mentor to a small team of trainees when needed
- Stay informed and up to date with current trends in IT technology and development, and be proactive in proposing and leading improvements to existing tools and processes based on that acquired knowledge
- Work collaboratively and professionally with other IMDEA Networks personnel to achieve goals. Coaching and guiding
- Apply a sense of urgency, commitment and focus on the right priorities in developing solutions in a timely fashion
- Programming languages: Ruby
- Web frameworks: Ruby on Rails
- Databases: PostgreSQL
- Object-oriented programming. Client/server applications.
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge of relevant software engineering tools (configuration management systems, build processes, version control (Git), debuggers, emulators, simulators and logic analyzers)
- Knowledge of digital media/social media, particularly of web-based channels such as websites, blogs, social media, forums, etc.
- Excellent level of English and Spanish
- Strong project management, problem-solving, organizational and planning skills are a must
- Programming languages: Perl
- Web frameworks: DocPad, Sinatra
- Web content management systems: Drupal, WordPress, Wikis
- Databases: MongoDB
- Tools: EPrints, Alfresco
- Collaborative tools: Slack
- International technology/IT/research sector experience
How to apply
If you are interested and believe that you qualify, please send your CV (in pdf format) to: recruit.networks – AT- imdea – DOT- org
Please include the following reference on the email subject: “2017-04-30_SoftDev”.
Deadline for receipt of applications: 30 April 2017
DOWNLOAD JOB DESCRIPTION (PDF | 179 KB)
Preference will be given to candidates with solid hands-on experience in:
- circuit design, prototyping and testing,
- PCB design, prototyping and testing
- Fluency in written and spoken English is mandatory
- Capability to work in a research team is a must
Starting date & contract duration
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Contract duration: Initial contract for one year, renewable upon performance and availability of funds
- This is a part-time position: 20 hours per week
How to apply
If you are interested and believe that you qualify, please send your CV and your BSc degree, indicating the Reference number “2017-03-22_ResEng_DG” to: domenico.giustiniano – AT- imdea – DOT- org
Deadline for receipt of applications: until the position is filled (job posted 22/03/2017). Candidates would be well advised to submit their applications for evaluation at the earliest opportunity ahead of the deadline.