Research Engineering & Support
The Research Engineering & Support unit at IMDEA Networks is dedicated to supporting the continued growth in our research capacity and maximizing the impact of our research output by providing specific technical and professional expertise and assistance to ongoing research endeavors in a variety of ways. Research Engineering & Support personnel work either at the level of the entire Institute, or closely with researchers and their groups. There are roles with an engineering background that take care of the design, installation and maintenance of the IT infrastructure. Other roles may, for instance, provide administrative or operational support to project or lab management.
Typical jobs include systems administration, research (software and/or hardware) engineering, project or research administrator and laboratory technician. These positions are similar to their industry equivalents. They enable our employees to work on cutting-edge research problems and technology in a stimulating and innovative environment.
The candidate will work in the OppArch Lab, led by Vincenzo Mancuso. The members of the OppArch Lab focus on solutions for extremely high-performing opportunistic architectures for highly dense cellular networks and for infrastructure-less wireless services. Specifically, the OppArch Lab targets analysis, design, implementation and experimental evaluation of energy-efficient, robust, fair and high-throughput communication protocols for: (i) SDN/SDR-based cellular networks, (ii) context-aware services, and (iii) cloud-based data centers.
The candidate must be knowledgeable of machine learning tools, network protocols of the TCP/IP stack, and 4G/5G radio access technologies; he/she must also be proficient in programming with python and associated development tools, and skilled with data collection tools needed to gather experimental data from real network experiments.
List of tasks and Responsibilities
The researcher will work in TAPIR-CM project and perform experimental research and develop cutting edge methods, based on machine learning, for the analysis and troubleshooting of wireless access networks and for data-driven analysis of communications protocols.
How To Apply
TO APPLY PLEASE FILL IN THIS ONLINE FORM (https://careers.networks.imdea.org/), choosing the position: Research Engineer & Support: [Research Engineer] [the OppArch Lab] 
Deadline for Receipt of Applications
30 Sep 2020 - 14:00 (Madrid Time)
The IMDEA Networks 5TONIC Laboratory (www.5tonic.org) is looking to hire a Systems Administrator.
5TONIC was initiated by Telefonica and IMDEA Networks Institute with a clear vision to create an open research and innovation ecosystem laboratory in which industry and academia come together to boost technology and business innovative ventures.
The laboratory promotes joint project development, joint entrepreneurial ventures, discussion fora, events and conference sites, all in an international environment of the highest impact. 5TONIC will show the capabilities and interoperation of 5G equipment, services and applications, by leading global companies in the 5G arena. 5TONIC welcomes new members to join and gain from the benefits of an advanced research and innovation laboratory, oriented to research, debate, field-testing and demonstration of all technologies and equipment to support 5G communications, services and applications.
Design and management of the lab infrastructure. Support to the deployment of new equipment in the lab: network elements, servers, transport infrastructure, etc. Configuration of 5G devices (smartphones, routers).
Administration of servers and virtualization platforms; backup solutions; storage systems; perimetral security solutions; remote access platforms; communications infrastructure (switching, VLAN, VPN); LDAP; high availability plans.
Support to the maintenance of the lab agenda. Support to the maintenance of the 5TONIC website.
The candidate must have an Engineering degree in Computer Science, Telematics Engineering or Telecommunications Engineering. A Master’s degree would be a plus.
- Programming: Shell scripting: bash, desirable Python.
- Network services: HTTP (Apache, Nginx, Tomcat and reverse proxies configuration), SSH (Open SSH), DHCP, LDAP (OpenLDAP), VPN (OpenVPN), FTP (Proftpd and Webdav), Client-server architecture knowledge, NFS, SMTP (Postfix)
- DevOPS skills: CMS (Configuration Management Systems): Puppet and/or Ansible; VCS (Version Control Systems): SVN and Git
- Virtualization: KVM. Desirable: XEN, VMWare
- SDN: Software-defined networking would be desirable.
- Monitoring: Nagios, SNMP (network switches)
- Security: SSL/TLS (Firewalls: Network level (iptables) and application level (mod security)), SSL certificates. Desirable skills: IDS, forensic tools, security best practices, and Incidence response
- Network equipment configuration: Switches and routers (NAT, DNAT, VLANs), and Wireless access points.
- Applications: ticketing systems, Wikies. Drupal, Document Management Systems desirable.
- Protocol analysis: Ethereal, Tcpdump, Wireshark
- Help-desk support to users
- Testbed management and proof-of-concept/demo skills (e.g., GUIs and supporting applications)
- Knowledge of mobile networks architecture and protocols desirable: RLC, PDCP, RRC, S1, X2, IP, UDP, TCP, HTTP protocols
The candidate must be knowledgeable in English and Spanish
The applicant should have a minimum of three years’ experience in a similar position.
How To Apply
TO APPLY PLEASE FILL IN THIS ONLINE FORM (https://careers.networks.imdea.org/), choosing the position: Research Engineer & Support: [Systems Administrator] [5TONIC Laboratory] .
Deadline for Receipt of Applications
09 Oct 2020 - 14:00 (Madrid Time)