Research Associate Professor
IMDEA Networks Institute is a networking research institute whose multinational team is engaged in cutting-edge fundamental science. As a growing, English-speaking institute located in Madrid, Spain, IMDEA Networks offers a unique opportunity for pioneering scientists to develop their ideas. IMDEA Networks is establishing itself internationally at the forefront in the development of future network technologies and has already incorporated highly-reputed scientists (see our research team here). Our researchers share the potential to shape the future of networking science over the coming years.
Further information regarding our areas of research can be found here.
We bring together a large number of scientists performing research in fields related to computer networks to an extent that is unique in Europe. At the Institute, and teamed up with University Carlos III of Madrid (UC3M), researchers understand each other, are driven by common interests and are therefore able to collaborate in depth on leading-edge technical challenges.
Research Associate Professors* are typically researchers with several years' experience who are ready for a change, assuming a position of responsibility in leading the day-to-day activities of our research teams.
* USA academic equivalent: Associate Professor.
All areas of networking, specifically network protocols and systems, wireless networking, network measurements and analytics, and related areas.
- Conducting cutting-edge scientific research in computer networking and related areas such as distributed systems
- Building a strong team of PhD Students, postdocs, and other staff and directing their work
- Leading a team of approximately five researchers
- Publishing regularly in leading conferences and journals
- Identifying and taking the lead in preparing proposals for funded research projects, contracts and grants
- Creating value by developing transferable IPR (patents, software, …) and collaborating in standards bodies
- Managing your own research budget, which includes a basic research budget provided by the Institute, plus the funds that the Senior Researcher attracts for his/her research and for the Institute
- Attending conferences, establishing research collaborations, giving talks and seminars, hosting visitors, etc.
- Preparing and submitting patent applications
- Supervising PhD Students in their Ph.D. program
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field, with at least 5 years of research experience in the area of networking
- Several high impact publications and typically a corresponding h-index at least in the range of 10-15
- Successful track record in developing transferable technologies through international patents and licensing agreements
- We particularly value systems oriented research
- High level of proficiency in both written and spoken English (please note: Spanish is not required).
- The opportunity to work with colleagues of world-class standing
- First-class research laboratories and facilities
- A personal research budget, which covers basic research costs and allows you to hire PhD students from the first day
- The possibility to personally manage the funds attracted by submitting project proposals and research agreements with external entities
- Internationally-competitive salaries and relocation packages
- A share of IPR revenues arising from your work here
- Full support to transfer your results to industry or to start-up your own company
- The unrivalled quality of life to be enjoyed in the Madrid region