IMDEA Networks Institute is a networking research institute whose multinational team is engaged in cutting-edge fundamental science. As a growing, English-speaking institute located in Madrid, Spain, IMDEA Networks offers a unique opportunity for pioneering scientists to develop their ideas. IMDEA Networks is establishing itself internationally at the forefront in the “development of future network technologies and has already incorporated highly-reputed scientists (see our research team here). Our researchers share the potential to shape the future of networking science over the coming years.
Further information regarding our areas of research can be found here.
We bring together a large number of scientists performing research in fields very closely related to computer networks, to an extent that is unique in Europe. At the Institute, and teamed up with University Carlos III of Madrid (UC3M), researchers understand each other, are driven by common interests and are therefore able to collaborate in depth on leading-edge technical challenges.
Our PhD Student positions offer young, aspiring researchers a salaried position in our research team. Candidates offered a position as IMDEA Networks PhD Students will have been pre-vetted and conditionally accepted for a place on the Ph.D. program at UC3M or another top university in Madrid*.
* Please be aware that IMDEA Networks does not issue degrees and that, in most cases, as a UC3M PhD candidate you will be required to complete at least one year of masters courses, even if you already hold a masters degree. (Other universities may apply different criteria.)
Requirements, benefits and career development
- B.Sc., M.Sc. or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Telecommunications, Telematics or a related field (concluded by the time you join)*
- Excellent academic transcripts
- Clearly defined Statement of Purpose for Ph.D. research thesis
- Excellent level of spoken and written English (please note: Spanish is not required)
- Highly motivated
- Freedom to focus on your research work, with full administrative support. No teaching duties
- Collaboration with leading experts on international research projects
- Supervision throughout your Ph.D. by one of our world-renowned and award-winning researchers (see Research team).
- Use of state-of-the-art resources and facilities
- Collaborative, multi-cultural and English-speaking environment
- Participation at international conferences and project meetings
- Assistance with all aspects of immigration and relocation (including support with your VISA application)
- Support to take innovations to market
- Salaried position for up to 5 years *
- Access to comprehensive healthcare
- Total combined value of financial package of more than 150,000 Euros over five years
- More information about the University Carlos III of Madrid Ph.D program
* UC3M Admission levels
We finance PhD Student's Ph.D. studies for between 4 and 5 years:
- You will be funded for up to 4 years if you are admitted directly to the 1st year of the UC3M PhD Program
- up to 4 and a half years if you are also undertaking a full UC3M Masters Program,
- and you may be able to obtain an additional extension of up to 6 months.
After obtaining their Ph.D., our graduates are expected to find jobs in research organizations (including academia) and industry, for instance, amongst the members of our Former Team. We help our PhD Students in their search for employment after graduation.
We have PhD positions for specific topics or projects, as well as positions where the research topic is not pre-defined at the time of the call. If your background and interests match one or two of the positions below, please enter the name of the corresponding supervisor(s) as “Preferred Ph.D. supervisor” in the section “Research interests and statement of purpose” of the application form. If you do not have a preference as to the PhD topic, leave this field empty.
Find more information about these openings on the following links.
Dr. Vincenzo Mancuso (OppArch Lab) invites applications for a PhD Student position in the area of Internet of Things, which involves both modeling and experimental research.
The aim of this PhD position is to design, develop and optimize new cooperative schemes and services for networks of mobile devices, sensors and actuators in which network and computing infrastructures need to be controlled and configured dynamically, using, e.g., virtualization, resource slicing and software-defined networking concepts.Requirements for this position
The selected student will be supervised by Dr. Vincenzo Mancuso.
- High proficiency in programming (e.g., C/C++, Matlab, Mathematica, LabVIEW and scripting languages)
- Excellent background on wireless networking
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
The Wireless Networking Group invites applications for one PhD Student position. The selected candidate will work on measurement and analysis of the performance of cellular network deployments, and the design and implementation of novel wireless algorithms, such as scheduling and resource allocation schemes.Requirements for this position
The selected student will be supervised by Dr. Joerg Widmer.
- Excellent degree in electrical engineering, telecommunication engineering or equivalent disciplines
- Solid background in wireless and cellular networks
- Experience in programming, system development and experimentation, experience with software defined radios would be desirable