Institute IMDEA Networks is a networking research institute whose multinational team is engaged in cutting-edge fundamental science. As a growing, English-speaking institute located in Madrid, Spain, IMDEA Networks offers a unique opportunity for pioneering scientists to develop their ideas. IMDEA Networks is establishing itself internationally at the forefront in the development of future Internet technologies and has already incorporated highly-reputed scientists (see our research team here). Our researchers share the potential to shape the future of networking science over the coming years.
Further information regarding our areas of research can be found here.
Chief Researchers* are our most published and cited researchers. They are recognized as respected leaders in their field of research. They have already made a difference. Their expertise and research interests have a significant impact on the Institute's scientific output and on the careers of their charges.
* USA academic equivalent: Full Professor (with chair).
As Chief Researcher your responsibilities would be
- Conducting cutting-edge scientific research in computer networking and related areas such as distributed systems
- Providing scientific leadership in defining and developing lines of research
- Building a strong team of PhD Students, postdocs and other staff and directing their work
- Identifying and taking the lead in preparing proposals for funded research projects, contracts and grants
- Establishing and maintaining links and collaborations with partner institutions and with industry
- Creating value by developing transferable IPR (patents, software, …) and collaborating in standards bodies
- Managing your own research budget, which includes a basic research budget provided by the Institute, plus the funds that the Chief Researcher attracts for his/her research and for the Institute
- Attending conferences, establishing research collaborations, giving talks and seminars, hosting visitors, etc.
- Supervising PhD Students in their Ph.D. program
Scientists applying for this position have the following attributes
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field, with at least 10 years of research experience in the area of networking
- A number of high impact publications and typically an h-index of at least 25
- Successful track record in developing transferable technologies through international patents and licensing agreements
- High level of proficiency in both written and spoken English (please note: Spanish is not required)
In exchange for this, we offer
- The opportunity to work with colleagues of world-class standing
- First-class research laboratories and facilities
- A personal research budget, which covers basic research costs and allows to hire PhD students from the first day
- The possibility to personally manage the funds attracted by submitting project proposals and research agreements with external entities
- Internationally-competitive salaries and relocation packages
- A share of IPR revenues arising from your work here
- Full support to transfer your results to industry, or to start-up your own company
- The unrivalled quality of life to be enjoyed in the Madrid region
THE CALL FOR THESE POSITIONS IS CURRENTLY CLOSED. THE OPENING OF THE NEXT CALL WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN THESE PAGES IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
Key Dates in 2012-2013 Application Process:
- 03 December 2012 - Call Open
- 31 January 2013 (23:59 CET) - Deadline for receipt of applications
We are in a growing phase and we are continuously looking for new candidates. Our recruitment process is organized around periodic calls for researchers. If you would like more information, please email email@example.com.