IMDEA* Networks Institute is a networking research organization whose multinational team is engaged in cutting-edge fundamental science. As a growing, English-speaking institute located in Madrid, Spain, IMDEA Networks offers a unique opportunity for pioneering scientists to develop their ideas. IMDEA Networks is establishing itself internationally at the forefront in the development of future network technologies and has already incorporated highly-reputed scientists (see our research team here). Our researchers will contribute to shaping the future of networking science over the coming years.
*English pronunciation: [ĩn̪.'δ̞e.a].
Further information regarding our areas of research can be found here.
Our Strategic Goals
The Institute's strategic goals are the following:
- Conduct first class research on an international level in the area of computer networking
- Transfer technology to the industrial sector, in order to improve its capacity for innovation and competitiveness
- Transfer technology to spin-off-companies in order to promote the release of new products and services to the global market
- Attract and retain human capital of excellence with the aim to internationalize research within the Madrid Region
- Collaborate with Madrid's industrial sector, research centers and educational institutions
Our vision is the Future Wireless Internet in which 1012 heterogeneous wireless devices are interconnected to the conventional fixed Internet. The Future Wireless Internet will be a pervasive, ubiquitous and mobile networking service, allowing “anytime, anywhere” connectivity, evolving away from the Internet’s current, mainly wired, nature. The proliferation of wireless devices will supersede the current prevalence of the personal computer. A new generation of applications will emerge to exploit the new possibilities opened up by the Future Wireless Internet. IMDEA Networks Institute exists to make this vision a reality.
Our mission is to create value by leading research in protocol, algorithm and systems developments which enable future Internet technologies. We do this by conducting research and developing innovative and useful scientific and technical advances in the above areas, while actively promoting their successful transfer to market. The Institute strives to provide the best working conditions and the most attractive and best-equipped environment in which researchers can focus on this process of innovation and scientific advance.
A culturally-diverse team, such as IMDEA Networks', needs goals, but it also has to share values that transcend our social, religious and other cultural differences. These values serve to unify us by defining how we conduct ourselves, both within the team and in our dealings with others. Our core values will remain constant and will be promoted actively within the Institute:
- To be open to the new
- To be constantly adapting to our changing environment
- To value diversity
- We seek out and cherish different perspectives and diversity. We understand the value of diversity
- To be positive
- We encourage positive critical thought with a view to addressing the issue of generating better solutions, not simply identifying problems
- To act with integrity
- We act with integrity and honesty, delivering on our commitments in all our interactions. The trust this engenders provides the foundations for productive partnerships
- To listen well and speak clearly
- We listen actively to other people and take responsibility for explaining ourselves as we wish to be understood
- To respect individual brilliance
- We respect, honor and reward exceptional individual contributions when they are in the service of shared goals
- To work collaboratively
- Our individual contributions are more fruitful when performed in a team environment. We work in a spirit of partnership in all our activities with others. We achieve this by identifying and pursuing shared objectives in an open and honest way
- To innovate always
- We always look at problems from different points of view. We aim to do breakthrough research, not incremental research
- To compete sportingly across the globe
- We compete fairly but intensely, according to the letter and spirit of accepted standards. Competition drives us to be the best and most successful in our field
- To enjoy our work
- We enjoy what we do and share our enjoyment with each other
- We believe in group discussion and in bright individual ideas
- We do not believe in voting and committees. We believe in running code and rough consensus. (David D. Clark)
- Demo or die (in addition to publish or perish)
- Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. (T.A. Edison)